Located a short 18 minute drive from the Powder House Lodge, the 375 acre Sheridan Lake provides a plethora of outdoor recreation, making it an ideal stop for a day of fun in the sun. Enjoy the views of towering ponderosas and local wildlife while you explore hiking trails, try your luck at the lake’s trout, perch and northern pike, frolic on one of the swimming beaches or take part in one of the many other offerings of the area. Add a visit to this summer hotspot to enjoy outdoor activities for the whole family while taking in the sights of the beautiful Black Hills National Forest.
- ATV riding
- Hiking – Area contains trailheads for the Flume Trail, as well as access to the Centennial Trail.
- Mountain Biking
- Fishing – Area offers lake, stream and ice fishing for rainbow and brown trout, perch, bass, northern pike and other pan-fish. Fly-fishing is a popular activity below the dam during the spring and summer months.
- Boating – Multiple boat ramps available for both motorized and non-motorized boating.
- Swimming – Two swim beaches available on-site.
- Horseback riding
- Campgrounds – Two campgrounds available for both RV and tent camping. Each campsite contains picnic tables, campfire rings, vault toilets and drinking water.
- Full Service Marina – Offers rentals of pontoons, ski boats, kayaks, canoes, paddleboats, wakeboards, water skis and fishing poles, as well as provides fishing supplies and groceries.
- Swimming beaches - Contains the Sheridan North Swim Beach and the Sheridan South Swim Beach.
- Picnic areas – Grills available at each picnic area.
- Boat ramps – For motorized and non-motorized boats. An accessible boat ramp is available.
- Public restrooms
- Fishing docks
- Bighorn sheep, deer, pronghorn, elk, bald eagles and osprey are just some of the wildlife that can be found in the area.
- Sheridan Lake contains the largest swim beach in the Black Hills National Forest.
- Sheridan Lake was built over the site of the old mining town of Sheridan, which was the first county seat.
From splashing through the water on the swim beach to zooming through the lake on a wave runner, Sheridan Lake, SD offers just what your family wants in a fun-packed summer day. Don’t forget to pack a picnic lunch so you don’t have to interrupt the excitement when stomachs start to grumble! Add this popular destination to your next summer vacation’s itinerary for a memorable, adventurous family outing.
Black Hills National Forest
West Pennington, SD 57702
Black Hills Visitor Information Center - (605) 343-8755
Sheridan Lake Marina - (605) 574-2169
Entrance fees are charged May – September and are as follows:
- $6/vehicle/day day use
- Campground fees vary