– By #Powder House Lodge
Whether you’re a connoisseur of fine craft IPAs, Stouts or Ales, or simply just want to enjoy a cold glass of beer, the Black Hills present ample opportunities to take in the best of the best with its diverse selection of breweries. Fortunately for you, when you stay at the Powder House Lodge, you’re in the heart of all of the brewing excitement – just minutes away from all of the local favorites. Check out this guide to learn more about all of the area’s best breweries!
15 minutes from Powder House Lodge
- Sick N’ Twisted: Sick-n-Twisted Brewing Company is a growing brewery known for their beer’s distinctive taste. From light to dark, Sick N’ Twisted’s selection of beer knows no end and can be enjoyed by the pint or in convenient flights when you visit their taproom. If you find yourself in the Lead-Deadwood area, you can also visit their second location in downtown Deadwood.
- Firehouse Smokejumper Station: This brother to Rapid City’s famous Firehouse Brewing Company can be found in Hill City. Offering a wide assortment of Firehouse Brewing Company’s most popular brews, Firehouse Smokejumper Station combines its cabin charm with fantastic beer in the heart of Rapid City.
- Miner Brewing Company: Kin to the nationally-acclaimed Prairie Berry Winery, Miner Brewing Company, boasts an abounding list of unique brews. With their rotating collection of specialty and seasonal beers, Miner Brewing Company is the kind of place you’ll want to visit multiple times a year.
25 minutes from Powder House Lodge
- Lost Cabin: A staple in the Rapid City brewery scene, Lost Cabin Beer Company is a local celebrity offering tantalizing ales and lagers.
- Firehouse Brewing: South Dakota’s oldest operating brewing company, Firehouse Brewing Co. is a staple in Rapid City and the surrounding Black Hills. Firehouse Brewing Co.’s ambiance alone is worth the trip to Rapid City to enjoy their diverse selection of beers. Also make sure to visit Firehouse Smokejumper Station in Hill City too!
- Hay Camp Brewing: Located in downtown Rapid City, Hay Camp Brewing’s collection of expertly crafted brews will have your mouth watering the moment you walk through the door. Whether you’re trying their Cascadian Black Ale or the Haystack Sour, Hay Camp’s wide selection of beer leaves no room for your imagination when looking for unique craft beer.
- Dakota Point Brewing: Pairing rustic industrial ambiance with their highly-popular selection of expertly crafted brews that stray from the norm, Dakota Point Brewing will absolutely blow you away. Make sure to try their cask ales or popular sours and lagers when you visit!
- Zymurcracy Beer Company: The beer styles at this veteran-owned brewery are incredibly diverse to appease both the seasoned craft beer drinker and those new to the trade. Their mission is to “connect people through craft beer” and their brewers and staff strive to help their customers find their own passion for craft beer.
55 minutes from Powder House Lodge
- Dakota Shivers: If you’re in the Lead-Deadwood area, you should make a pit stop to Dakota Shivers where you’ll find one-of-a-kind beers brewed to perfection and history pouring out of every tap! Whether you’re trying the sensational 5280 Pale Ale or the Dark Matter RyePA, you’re sure to enjoy the hometown feel Dakota Shivers offers its customers.
1 hour and 5 minutes from Powder House Lodge
- Crow Peak Brewing: Named after the mountain that towers over the town of Spearfish, Crow Peak Brewing Company has served the community of Spearfish for over 13 years with their popular collection of beers. While here, make sure to try out the 11th Hour IPA and Bridal Veil Brown, named after popular landmarks in nearby Spearfish Canyon.
- Spearfish Brewing Company: On the rise as a local favorite since the moment they opened their doors in 2018 you’ll find the booming Spearfish Brewing Company in the charming downtown district of Spearfish. Here, you can enjoy 15 rotating beers on tap ranging from craft beer to classic beers. If you like a pilsner or sours, Spearfish Brewing is a must-stop destination!
- Sawyer Brewing Company: [will link once added to itinerary] Pairing excellent craft beer with delectable wood-fired pizza, Sawyer Brewing Company packs a punch with its rich backstory and opportune location. Located along Spearfish Creek, Sawyer Brewing Company offers great views of the Black Hills and some of the best beer you’ll find in the area. If you stop here, make sure to try the Wutt Up Butter Cup Imperial Stout, Tail Shaker Milkshake IPA, and the Cold Creek Springs Cream Ale.
55 minutes from Powder House Lodge
- The Knuckle Brewing Company: If you find yourself in the world-famous town of Sturgis, you’ll absolutely want to stop by the Knuckle Brewing Company! Located within the iconic Knuckle Saloon, The Knuckle Brewing Company offers an experience like no other as you take in the heart and flavor of Sturgis while enjoying award-winning brews that pair perfectly with their menu of delicious food. While here, make sure to try out the Knucklehead Red and Va’Knockers Blonde.
For those looking to enjoy craft brews without having to stray too far off the beaten path, the Powder House Lodge Restaurant offers an expertly crafted list of regionally-made beers for you to enjoy at any time during your stay. You can click here to check out our Beer and Wine List.
Are you intrigued by the amount of amazing breweries in the Black Hills? Plan your must-see stops using our convenient itinerary builder!
*Disclaimer: The subject matter discussed in this blog presents suggestions related to the consumption of alcohol and is meant for people who are of legal drinking age and have designated drivers. Please drink responsibly.